Skip to main content

Designing vestments and paraments

 Last spring I had a visit to my studio by an Episcopalian priest from Minnesota in the USA.  We spent a lovely couple of hours looking at photographs of things I have made, fabrics that I use and discussing various making processes.  He was impressed with what he saw and left promising that he would be in touch when he had discussed possibilities with people back home.

I was surprised and delighted when he got in touch a couple of months later to ask if I would be willing to travel to Minnesota (at their expense) and visit their church - St Martin by the Lake, meet the congregation and come up with design proposals to make two sets of vestments and paraments.

In October I packed my suitcase with sketch pads, paints and pencils and got a flight to Minneapolis.   I was blessed with stunning autumn weather and the trees put on a magnificent display of reds and golds.


Whenever I am asked to make paraments and vestments for a particular location I always try to have conversations and look at photographs to get an idea of what would work in the space.  This usually happens with a combination of email correspondence and Zoom meetings.  What a joy it was to visit the church in person.   And the added bonus, I could be totally confident in the measurements as I was taking them myself.

The area the church serves has considerable Scandinavian influence and the building was designed in the 19th century with a nod to the traditional stave churches of Norway.

In December I concentrated on designing the purple set, including a zoom meeting with the team that had been put together to make decisions.  By Christmas they were happy with the design and in January I started work - painting silk, weaving fringes, doing the embroidery and then putting everything together.  Ash Wednesday was early this year, so it was a tight schedule, but everything was wrapped up and ready to send by the end of the month and arrived in the USA with a couple of days to spare.

Everyone seemed to be delighted with what I had done and I was invited to give a short presentation to the congregation covering both the design choices and the making process.  This was done via Zoom and it took the form of a 16 minute video, which I share with you here.



Such was their enthusiasm that I was encouraged to go ahead and make the requested red set.   The work for that was done in April and I just made it in time to reach them for Pentecost.   Here is the video presentation that I gave them to explain the symbolism on this set.


Of course, I don't need to visit a church to make things for them, but it certainly was a delight to visit Minnesota.  But don't worry if you can't afford my travel expenses - I am more than happy to work remotely - WhatsApp video calls, Zoom and email all make quite satisfactory means of communication, so do let me know if you are inteseted in commissioning. - email embroidery@angelforce.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Commissioning a Liturgical Stole

This post is aimed at those who may never have purchased a stole before.  Perhaps you are preparing for ordination or maybe you are commissioning a stole as a gift.   There are so many possibilities for a stole that it is difficult for some people to know where to begin.   Here I try to guide you through the process and ask you to consider many different things so that you can arrive at the right decision when it comes to making that purchase or placing an order. The stole is an ecclesiastical vestment worn by ordained clergy in most western Christian traditions during church services. The wearing of stoles goes back to the very earliest times of the Church and references Jewish traditions as described in The Old Testament.   "And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty" (Exodus 28:2).  It is a long, narrow strip of cloth, usually embellished in some way and is normally in the specified colour for the liturgical season - although some P

Assembling my loom - Part 1 - unpacking

 I have just taken delivery of a new loom - but it's all in pieces!  Scandinavian flatpack..... The loom is a Toika from Finland and I chose the 16 shaft Llisa model with computer dobby.    It arrived beautifully packed in a large wooden pallet box which for some reason had been put on top of a standard pallet which was too small to properly hold the box.  However with the aid of some extra strapping and a bit of muscle power from my neighbour we managed to get the box across the gravel driveway and into the loomshed. I had read somewhere online that it needed a crowbar to open the box, so I was prepared for that.  But there were two steel straps tensioned around the crate.    Fortunately my side-snip wire cutters were up to the job and I managed to chew through the straps and set to work with the crowbar. Inside, all the pieces were well wrapped, anchored and secured so it took a good hour or so just to unpack the box.  At the end of that there was an enormous pile of polystyrene

The Hilton of Cadboll Pictish Stone - a design for a stole

Here in the north of Scotland, we have been in a covid lockdown for a month.  We have been told by the government to work from home if we can, so as I had lots of design work to do and no urgency on any of the making, I brought the computer home - good excuse because it's warmer here than in my workshop! The only interaction I have had with the rest of humanity has been through the medium of Zoom - for conversations with family, for church services and the occasional face-to-face with a client. A couple of weeks ago one such meeting took place and my client has commissioned me to design and make her ordination stole.   In the past she had worked on the Hilton of Cadboll project which was a "millenium project" - part archaeological excavations and part having stone mason Barry Grove carve a replica of this famous Pictish stone. The original stands on display in the National Museum of Scotland.  The "new" one is not so new now.  Looking for my photographs of the r