Skip to main content

A very busy week.....

It's been a busy week...... On Monday I dismantled the computers and tidied up the cable spaghetti that connected everything together. It's all in the one box - I just have to hope that I can figure out how to put it all back together.
 
Then I set to work and put the first coat of paint on walls and ceiling of that little part of the studio. On Tuesday morning I went back in and painted the second coat. 
 
Then I went and collected my sister off the bus from Glasgow and together we headed over to the Isle of Lewis for a couple of days. It is now a full year since our mother died and we had various loose ends that needed tying up - plus friends to visit and tweed to buy.... 
 
We were blessed with beautiful, calm, sunny weather and managed to fit in a walk across to
the other Calanais stone circles - which Susan had never been to before despite over three decades of visiting the island. She spent a happy hour or so taking photographs from every imaginable angle, trying out the new lens which she had bought when we stopped off at Ffordes on our way to the ferry.
 
We also had a farewell walk on "mother's" beach, Coll Sands. Mum lived just across the road from here and always considered it her own personal beach.
On Thursday afternoon we caught the ferry home and then on Friday it was back to work. 
 
Rachel and I made a start on painting the woodwork - which first of all involved clearing away all the cobwebs (a bit embarassing just how grotty it had got - must buy a cobweb brush for The Workshop!). I am not sure when the woodwork was last painted, but we didn't do it when we first moved into the studio 7 years ago, so it is possibly 10 or 15 years since it was last done - in a rather grim dark reddish brown eggshell finish.  I have always hated it but never had time to do anything about it till now.
 
We got a lot of the boring grey undercoat done on Friday. I was slightly hampered by the porch light having blown, so first task this morning was to replace the light fitting with a nice bright LED fitting, and then I finished off the undercoating (at least as much as is currently accessible), then treated myself to painting one window and the front door with the lovely turquoise paint I had got. Looking good, but it might need a second coat.
Rachel made a really neat job of this window - but it took a long time to be so careful.  This morning I bought a paint scraper for shaving the paint off glass - tested it on a little bit of stray paint on the door from yesterday and decided it was going to be quicker to be careless with the painting and scrape off the excess afterwards.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Commissioning a Liturgical Stole

This post is aimed at those who may never have purchased a stole before.  Perhaps you are preparing for ordination or maybe you are commissioning a stole as a gift.   There are so many possibilities for a stole that it is difficult for some people to know where to begin.   Here I try to guide you through the process and ask you to consider many different things so that you can arrive at the right decision when it comes to making that purchase or placing an order. The stole is an ecclesiastical vestment worn by ordained clergy in most western Christian traditions during church services. The wearing of stoles goes back to the very earliest times of the Church and references Jewish traditions as described in The Old Testament.   "And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty" (Exodus 28:2).  It is a long, narrow strip of cloth, usually embellished in some way and is normally in the specified colour for the liturgical season - although some P

Garden felting

For a very few days each year the blue irises in our garden are in bloom while the marsh marigolds are still flowering.  The complimentary colours of yellow/gold and purple/blue  are wonderful to behold. We are enjoying a little heatwave just now so the other day I sat in the garden and did a little watercolour sketch of an iris.    And today I set about making an interpretation of these flowers in felt. The first step was to select my colours of merino wool fibres.  It was definitely a question of blending as nothing I had was quite right for the irises - which are somewhere between blue and purple.  I decided on the inlay method - that is, make some pre-felt for the various components of the piece and cut them into the various shapes that I wanted.  The process of painting the flowers is helpful because it helps to analyse how the flower is formed.  The iris has three petals that point up into a peak, three smaller petals that spread out horizontally and a further three large petals

Designing and Making Liturgical Stoles

The process of designing and making a stole has many steps.  In this post I hope to give an insight into what is involved so that you will understand how I work. The first step is a discussion with the client.  This might be in person at my studio or at a vestments fair at one of the theological colleges.  It might all be conducted through emails, or it might involve a combination of zoom chats and emails, with perhaps the odd telephone call as well.   Whichever way the discussions take place, the important thing is that we arrive at an outline of what the client wants that works with what I am able and willing to make. Designs often evolve through this discussion process.  A client might start off simply asking me to make a design exactly as they have seen in an earlier photo of my work, but then through discussion they become aware of different variations.     In one of my Google Photos albums I have posted photos of my Celtic Angel design so that you can see the huge range of design