Skip to main content

A week of contrasts....

They say a change is as good as a rest......

Monday started with me doing a lot of design work at the computer.   I love this part but since "upgrading" to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago, Photoshop has been playing up and making life difficult.  I don't need it for the design part - but I do need it for creating images to show my clients to give them an idea of how the finished piece will look.

Tuesday I was off for a funeral, but worked from home in between times making our lovely Celtic hearts and tartan hearts.
On Wednesday I sort of took a day off - I was at the studio, but working on a personal project. My younger granddaughter Lauren is off to Glasgow to live with her boyfriend. He might have been prepared to live in a flat without curtains, but Lauren had other ideas...... So last weekend we had bought curtain fabric and on Wednesday I cleared the decks to make the curtains - big ones for a bay window of a traditional tenament flat. This is where my cutting table and my big, height-adjustable tables really come into their own as I could really spread things out.  Even so, if I were going to do curtain making as a regular thing, I would want at least twice as much space!  Lauren is into monochrome - plain dark grey curtains with a thick interlining, so quite boring and very heavy and bulky to work with. The family are off today to get her settled in so I look forward to seeing photographs of the curtains in place very soon.
Meanwhile, Mary was working with colour - by the bucket load. A rather stunning outfit that combines Royal Stewart tartan with rainbow satin. Definitely a combination to cheer you up on these cold winter days.  It's for a special event that her client is performing at so can't show any photographs of the full outfit just yet.

On Thursday we started the day with a "staff meeting". We have a lot of planning to do for a trade event we will be at in January so we spent best part of the morning working out what we need to make for this and who will do what - and then we just "got on with it" - embroidery machines and sewing machines will be hard at work for the foreseeable future.
By Friday Mary and Rachel had had enough! They took the day off to help Lauren with her packing, while I was hard at work finishing an order of priests' stoles for Iona Abbey
and embroidering two more stoles for other orders.
 
This morning I am at home just now - just helped my husband install the new stained glass window I had made for his little chapel in the garden.  It went in without incident - though I did have to take a file to a little blob of solder on the bottom edge that had got overlooked  when I was making it.   And now I am heading out to The Workshop - what will I be working on today.....?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Commissioning a Liturgical Stole

This post is aimed at those who may never have purchased a stole before.  Perhaps you are preparing for ordination or maybe you are commissioning a stole as a gift.   There are so many possibilities for a stole that it is difficult for some people to know where to begin.   Here I try to guide you through the process and ask you to consider many different things so that you can arrive at the right decision when it comes to making that purchase or placing an order. The stole is an ecclesiastical vestment worn by ordained clergy in most western Christian traditions during church services. The wearing of stoles goes back to the very earliest times of the Church and references Jewish traditions as described in The Old Testament.   "And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty" (Exodus 28:2).  It is a long, narrow strip of cloth, usually embellished in some way and is normally in the specified colour for the liturgical season - although some P

Designing and Making Liturgical Stoles

The process of designing and making a stole has many steps.  In this post I hope to give an insight into what is involved so that you will understand how I work. The first step is a discussion with the client.  This might be in person at my studio or at a vestments fair at one of the theological colleges.  It might all be conducted through emails, or it might involve a combination of zoom chats and emails, with perhaps the odd telephone call as well.   Whichever way the discussions take place, the important thing is that we arrive at an outline of what the client wants that works with what I am able and willing to make. Designs often evolve through this discussion process.  A client might start off simply asking me to make a design exactly as they have seen in an earlier photo of my work, but then through discussion they become aware of different variations.     In one of my Google Photos albums I have posted photos of my Celtic Angel design so that you can see the huge range of design

Garden felting

For a very few days each year the blue irises in our garden are in bloom while the marsh marigolds are still flowering.  The complimentary colours of yellow/gold and purple/blue  are wonderful to behold. We are enjoying a little heatwave just now so the other day I sat in the garden and did a little watercolour sketch of an iris.    And today I set about making an interpretation of these flowers in felt. The first step was to select my colours of merino wool fibres.  It was definitely a question of blending as nothing I had was quite right for the irises - which are somewhere between blue and purple.  I decided on the inlay method - that is, make some pre-felt for the various components of the piece and cut them into the various shapes that I wanted.  The process of painting the flowers is helpful because it helps to analyse how the flower is formed.  The iris has three petals that point up into a peak, three smaller petals that spread out horizontally and a further three large petals